Performing Arts is an integral part of the curriculum at Kew Primary School. It allows the children to extend fundamental values and often relates to the inquiry units explored across the school. When rehearsing and performing, students extend and consolidate their knowledge of:
- physical movement and coordination with Dance and coordination whilst playing musical instruments
- essential public speaking skills through drama activities
- mathematical skills with rhythm and beat such as figuring out the duration of sounds in rhythm
- the beauty of language and poetry and the magic of how words are woven into song
- historical descriptions of people’s lives throughout history and how music influenced them
- higher order thinking which allows students to think and create in complex patterns, question their own and others contributions in group performance and enables them to improve and make their performance the best they can.
Classroom Music, Dance and Drama
Classes at Kew Primary School have Performing Arts for 60 minutes per week. During this time the children explore tuned and non-tuned instruments, accompanied and unaccompanied Song, Dance and Drama activities. The emphasis on all activities throughout each level is based on individuals using their learnt skills and contributions to combine and demonstrate teamwork and cooperation.
Choir is offered to all students across the school. There are two choirs which operate once a week during lunchtime. The Junior School Choir consists of students from Prep (Foundation) to Year 2. The Senior School Choir consists of students from Year 3 up to Year 6. Teamwork is an essential component of both choirs and the enthusiasm and dedication the students demonstrate is exceptional. Both Choirs enjoy performing to their parents and peers during assemblies and other school functions whenever possible.